Monday, October 11, 2004

Cramped Spaces = Cramped Style = Compromised Quality

As I mentioned before, my campus is currently cramped for room. Having recently accepted a night course teaching assignment in the Massage Therapy Program, I was discouraged to find that my class will meet in one room on the first night, another room on the second night, yet another room on the third night, back to a previous classroom on the fourth night, then the remainder of the course will be taught in a room setup as a personal computer repair lab.
It could be just my thinking, but somehow I don't think the accreditation and licensing authorities would approve. Somehow I think this process compromises the quality of the learning experience. I think it confuses students and faculty.

Why is it that administrators, managers and directors are always willing to cut corners unless the corner cut would cut into their budgets, promotions and/or personal work schedules. It seems to me that the administrators in this case would realize that this is not proper, may not be legal, and compromises quality. Somehow, these things are overlooked in the process.
So, too, are the needs of the faculty to have spaces for storing class-related materials, a desk from which to work, and regular room assignments.

Again, I reiterate that I love teaching. But somewhere the idea of a good learning experience is being tossed aside in favor of convenience. What should happen in this case is the class should be cancelled until such time as proper space is available... and the word needs to go back to the corporate leadership that the space currently being used is wholely inadequate.

But, hey, that would make sense and involve proper prior planning. Somewhere I learned that "proper prior planning prevents poor perfromance." Maybe my bosses could learn this "6-P Principle." I know they need to do something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home