Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gatekeeper Effect Destroying Education

I am a teacher. Being the eldest of a very large, dysfunctional blended (well, not so blended as affiliated) family, I was born a teacher. By the time I was 15 I was teaching Kodokan Judo to the Juniors at my dojo. At age 16 I wrote my first paper on the psychology of education, long before attending college or even thinking about being a teacher.

Some people look upon my teaching martial arts--specifically Kodokan Judo, Hombu Aikido and Ko-Tomoe Ryu Ju-Jitsu--as not being teaching. But each of these arts have a specific curriculum and were developed in Japan by educators. Kodokan Judo was developed by Dr. Jigoro Kano, who rose to the highest office in the Japanese Ministry of Education and was a member of the International Olympic Committee. Hombu Aikido was developed by "O-Sensei" (Great Teacher) Morihei Uyeshiba, who had been a member of the Japanese military, an officer with great leadership skills and a tremendous amount of charisma, and became one of the foremost teachers of martial arts, philosophy and peace in all of Japan. Ko-Tomoe Ryu Ju-Jitsu is a blended "style" of Ju-Jitsu developed by Professor Wally Jay, a Japanese-Chinese-American from Hawaii that adopted and adapted techniques from five different schools/styles of Ju-Jitsu, Kodokan Judo and Aikido.

Teaching martial arts is where I learned about "multi-level" teaching environments long before the concept began its rise to popularity in the field of education. While everyone seems to have forgotten that multi-level teaching environments were the standard in the days of the "little one-room red school house," the concept began to acquire a lot of supporters in the late 1980s and through the end of the 1990s. But all martial arts classes are multi-level teaching and learning environments. In each class--even those designated as "beginner," "intermediate" or "advanced"--there are students with differing levels of expertise, technical skill and understanding of the art, philosophy and science of the particular martial art being studied.

That is another particular of the martial arts: if it is being taught in a traditional manner, the "sensei" is charged with teaching 1) exercise and fitness, 2) nutrition and health, 3) sanitation and first aid, 4) technical skills and drills for mastering those skills, 5) social skills (courtesy) and discipline, 6) history of the specific art and of all martial arts in general, and 7) the philosophy of the martial arts.

Additionally, a sensei is challenged to continuously improve not only his/her knowledge and skill in the art, but also the skills and knowledge of teaching the art. In my day I developed drills for ukemi (the art of falling safely), numerous drills and exercises for nage waza (throwing techniques), as well as drills for ne-waza (mat techniques). Judo senseis must be familiar with the curriculum and technical requirements as set forth by the Kodokan (Mother School of Judo), the United States Judo Federation (USJF-Formerly the JBBF), the United States Judo Association (USJA-Formerly the US Air Force Judo Association), United States Judo, Inc. as well as the particular preferences of the senior instructors within the "dojo" (school). Each student presented different learning styles and abilities, so techniques had to be presented in ways that allowed each student to adopt the techniques to their own style and ability. (The research on learning styles and multiple intelligence could have been started in the Judo, Aikido or Karate-do setting rather than the traditional classroom.)

On top of all of that, the martial arts instructor had to be a coach, motivating students to achieve rank and success in competition (except in Hombu Aikido), focusing on positive motivators and disspelling class conflicts as they arose (and they arose more often than one might think).

Since those early days I have acquired considerable expertise. My military training covered fitness and nutrition in more detail than when I was a junior instructor. Additionally, I was trained as a US Navy Hospital Corpsman, which is a cross between combat medic, EMT, practical nurse, physician's assistant, medical assistant, lab technician and, at times, doctor. I was privileged to receive training from some of the finest doctors and nurses, all of whom cared more for their profession than most civilians ever could, who were more than willing to teach anyone eager enough to learn. As a result, I performed over 400 minor surgeries, initiated over 1000 IVs, drew more than 3000 tubes of blood, ordered hundreds upon hundreds of x-rays, assisted with major surgeries, conducted 2 complete autopsies, changed thousands of surgical dressings, diagnosed hundreds of patients and managed patient care in the Emergency Room, on the wards and as the section leader for the ambulance crew.

Further, I was trained as a US Naval Neuropsychiatric Technician, worked with acute psychiatric patients, drug-induced psychotics, administered psychometrics (WAIS-R, H-T-P Projectives, Rotter Sentence Completion, Otis-Lennon IQ, MMPI, Hand Aggression Tests, ASVAB), conducted over 400 emergency screenings, screened for substance abuse, completed hundreds of psycho-social histories, conducted small groups, and provided the primary interaction with psychiatric patients.

Additionally, I completed military non-resident courses in Communicable Disease in Man, Blood Component Therapy, Chemical Agent Casualties, Nursing Care, Emergency Medicine, Field Sanitation, Hospital & Clinical Design, Pharmacology, as well as the regular in-service training conducted monthly by hospital staff.

Then I went to school to get my degree in Psychology (Clinical Emphasis) and Sociology (Social Work Emphasis) with minor equivalents in Education, Communication and Management.

Somewhere along the line I immersed myself in learning computer applications, legal studies, philosophy and ethics, advanced education topics, and a whole lot more.

In 1995 I submitted a portfolio for consideration by the Massachusetts Department of Education Certification Review Panel (CRP) (an alternative route to teacher certification) to obtain my teacher certification/licensure. The CRP consisted of two professors of education from colleges and universities, as well as a sitting superintendent holding a PhD or EdD. In my case two of the three members were sitting superintendents and all three were professor-ranked educators. One of the panel members was a professor at Boston University. Another was a professor at Bridewater State College. The third was a professor emeritus from the University of Massachusetts. A fourth member of the panel was a certified teacher who was a member of the Massachuestts Department of Education staff.

The interview process conducted by the CRP was rigorous and exhaustive. My entire portfolio was reviewed. Additional and supplemental materials were requested (and I had them on hand). Ordinarily, if the CRP decides to award alternative certification, the lowest ranking certification (Provisional) is offered. In my case, I was awarded the second tier of a three-tier system (Provisional with Advanced Standing), which was an unusual move by the CRP. It was so unusual that the DOE staffer had to call the home office to see if it could be done by the CRP. I was informed that if I had completed a Master Degree in any field of study they would have awarded me the highest tier (Professional).

My certification is for grades K-12, which is also an unusual award by the CRP. I am certified to teach Social Studies (Grades 5-12), Business (Grades 5-12), Health (Grades 5-12) and Communication & Performing Arts (Grades K-12). Under the rules and regulations existing at the time of my certification/licensure, any certification for the K-12 level awarded modified all the other endorsements for the K-12 level as well.

My certification is still valid because it was awarded for five years of employment as a teacher in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since I have not been able to find a teaching gig in Massachusetts, my license remains valid. I have also kept up my professional development requirements over these many years as well. Additionally, even though it was not required, I took the Praxis II PPST and achieved scores in the 92-95 percentile in all three areas of the test, which covered basic skills, professional knowledge and teaching skills.

I am an accomplished educator with experience teaching at the K-12, undergraduate, graduate and career skills level. My colleagues and supervisors have acknowledged my skills, abilities, talents and leadership. My students--in all settings--have achieved higher scores on standardized and ad hoc testing. I have worked on several projects to develop new schools and school districts, as well as an online edducational portal.

But I can't seem to find a job as of late. In Massachusetts the demand for teachers in Science, Special Education, Bilingual Education (up until three years ago) and other specialty areas is high. But the demand for Social Studies, Health, Business and/or Communications is almost nil. In one interview for a Social Studies position I was informed that I was one of ten interviewed for the position, but that there were over 250 applicants for the one job.

Now that I live in Indiana, I cannot find a teaching job. Indiana refuses to grant me reciprocity for my teaching certificate because they do not recognize the CRP process. Illinois will recognize my credentials, but most of the districts in my locale have adopted residency requirements. This is especially true of the Chicago and Cook County School Districts... and I don't know too many teachers that can afford to live anywhere in Chicago... and only a few that can afford to live in Cook County. Michigan will apparently recognize my credentials for reciprocity, but all the jobs for Micihgan schools are in districts near Detroit or other larger cities too far north to be considered.

I have been looking for work in Arkansas because my wife is from there and would like to move closer to her family that still lives there. The wall that is presented there occurs first in the application process. The reciprocity paperwork is confusing, tedious, takes a painstaking amount of time and over $400 in fees for processing, fingerprinting, background check and other "stuff." Similar to my experiences in Massachusetts, there is a great demand--and a willingness to assist/bypass the application process--for Special Education... but Social Studies, Business, Health and Communication are not in high demand.

The way I see it, there is a gatekeeper effect in place and it is harming out education system. While the New York Times just reported that teachers are being imported from foreign nations in a large number of states and districts for special education positions, no one is assisting Americans to become American teachers. The unions also aid in keeping a large number of qualified--and quite possibly better--teachers from entering the profession. Then, too, most unions act as if teaching was more of a blue collar job than a profession requiring advanced training and professional knowledge. We are not allowing our schools to hire the best teachers. In fact, in my experience, I think we are deliberately keeping the best teachers out of the profession.

This weekend I watched the "Ron Clark Story" and saw some of these gatekeeper dynamics portayed in the movie. But a review of most dramas about teaching illustrates the effect in historical fashion. Some of the movies that come to mind include "The Blackboard Jungle,""Up The Down Staircase," "Mr. Holland's Opus," "Stand And Deliver," "Lean On Me," "Dangerous Minds," "Dead Poets' Society," "Renaissance Man," and "Mona Lisa Smile." All of these movies have some dynamic of keeping teachers at a certain level of achievement, blocking innovation and discouraging teachers from certain employment situations. While all of these are dramas and should not be considered factual, there is always some truth in drama, even those that are complete fiction.

We are not allowing the best into our school systems. And that is a damned shame, not only because I cannot seem to find a teaching gig, but because I know some damn fine educators that cannot get their ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home