Thursday, May 17, 2007

An Arkansas Apology

I have to apologize to the few faithful readers that have been seeking out my "voice" over the last few weeks. I took another trip to Arkansas to seek out job opportunities. It seems that states (like Arkansas) that really need competent teachers are willing to recognize the licensure offered by other states, even if they got it originally through an alternative certification route. Arkansas, unlike Indiana and several other states where I have lived recently, has agreed to provide me with reciprocity for my Massachusetts credentials.

While down that way I again noticed that life is a lot different. My shock was evoked when my wife's uncle declared that veterans of the US military that were not drafted should not be entitled to health care (and other) benefits because it causes his tax bill to rise. He continued this line of argument by referencing the retirement pension a relative receives after serving over 20 years on active duty because this relative was now in prison for murder. I reproached him on both of these issues, but he is a bit of a bully, believing that if he raises his voice he will win the argument. But he got my dander up and I did not back down. I pointed out that his facts were erroneous.

While today's military is a voluntary organization, the pay scale is way off. Active duty personnel are often called to be on duty for 24-48 hours without relieve or proper rest. They sleep in less than optimum conditions, even when they are housed on base in a BEQ or barracks. The salary of an electronics technician in the military is about 30-60% lower than that of a comparable civilian position and the level of knowledge and expertise required in the military is significantly higher than that of a civilian. Despite this, that very same veteran (upon release from active duty) will have greater difficulty obtaining a job than a graduate of an associate degree electronics program. The same is true of medics and corpsmen in the services. Most of these service members will be trained to do IVs, diagnostics, minor surgery, assist with major surgery, perform x-rays, provide advanced nursing care, do lab procedures, etc... but will not be allowed to sit for even a phlebotomy technician exam once released from service in most states. My own military training as a Navy Hospital Corpsman and an Army (National Guard - 91C)--with advanced training in psychiatric care, substance abuse counseling, psychometrics, laboratory procedures, blood component therapy, IV therapies, minor surgery, etc.--has been ignored, dismissed or belittled... despite the fact that I am still a better nurse, diagnostician, counselor and care provider than many who will graduate from BSN and MS programs in the next few weeks... and I have proof of this to support my claims.

But more importantly, every day on active duty, whether in peace time or during conflicts, presents dangers that most civilian jobs do not offer. Just as steel workers (like my father-in-law) are deserving of higher pay and benefits for the dangers they face, our military personnel are deserving of better pay and working conditions... and they do not get any of these just desserts. But they do get a guarantee of medical care for life (which our government does not always fulfill) and a few other benefits--many of which have been eroded over the years--as a way of honoring the sacrifice and service.

As for the relative that committed murder and is probably going to be incarcerated for the remainder of his life, if not sentenced to death, he earned the pension. The benefit of that pension is in no way connected to the criminal deeds. There is no reasonable cause to sever the pension and the arguments of my wife's uncle are based on a foundation of punishing those that are already suffering... something that explains why he votes for Republicans even though the policies and practices supported by the GOP undermine his standing as an independent contractor and business person.

In any event, I will soon be moving to Arkansas, where I expect to raise some political hell, if not some eyebrows. But I worry about being able to keep my job while expressing my ideas and views. In any case, it will be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home