Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Racism Is Alive & Well In Arkansas

Ain’t No Gentle Rain In Arkansas
James Downey


I have yet to feel a gentle rain
In Arkansas

I know it sometimes sprinkles
A few drops
Heavy and sad

But most of the time
Downpours
And storms
Are the norm

A gentle rain cleanses the soul
And feeds the earth
Rinsing away the minor sins
Washing away arrogance

I have yet to feel a gentle rain
In Arkansas

I need the rain to fall
Gently on my shoulders
Reminding me of goodness
And gentler times

But most of the time
Lightning strikes
Thunder roars
And the soil muddies up

There is no gentle rain
In Arkansas

And I am dying from the heat
The turmoil
The dirt
And the dust
That is 100 years old
Or older still

Copyright 2007 – James M. Downey

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home