Saturday, October 16, 2004

Twelve Cardinal Rules of Professionalism

TWELVE CARDINAL RULES OF PROFESSIONALISM

DON'T WASTE MY TIME. My time is valuable. I hardly ever have enough of it to go around. When you waste my time you rob me of something more precious than gold. If you make me pursue superfluous matters you become a thief. If you want my help, ask and it shall be yours. But don't ask me to chase my tail.

TRUST ME. Trust, like good communications, is an essential key to a good working relationship. If you trust me, I will trust you. If I feel I cannot trust you, then I will act in a defensive manner. If you feel that you cannot trust me, then we will not communicate effectively. If we are professionals, then we should be able to be trusted. The absence of trust is the beginning of failure.

DON'T PUT ME AT RISK. Don't put my life, my career, my livelihood, or my well-being at risk. Pay me when you tell me you are going to pay me. Pay me what you are supposed to pay me. Make sure my benefits are well planned and fully implemented. Help me problem-solve when issues arise involving benefits, payroll and work schedules. Provide me with feedback on my performance. Don't play office politics with my career.

PLAN MEETINGS PROPERLY. Plan all meetings, even the emergency meetings. Schedule meetings well in advance. Announce the meetings well in advance. Send out reminders. Create an agenda. Develop a clear set of objectives and goals. Set up an action items list. Assign follow-up responsibilities. Stay focused and manage the time effectively. Publish minutes or summary notes as soon as possible.

DON'T ADD TO MY PLATE. As a professional, I have a full plate. I am always willing to assist where and when I can. I am a team player. But I don't want to clean up your messes, nor do I want to take on your tasks. I go the extra mile whenever I can to make sure I don't dump my load onto any one else's plate. But I do not appreciate it when someone else fails to do as expected.

COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY. Good communications is an essential key to effective and good working relationships. If you have something to say, then say it with an understanding of the listener. If you have a complaint, use tact. If you have praise, make it complimentary, but don't over do it. If it's important, write it down. If there is a deadline, make sure everyone knows about it. Make sure we understand each other.

PROBLEM-SOLVE. Don't make excuses. Don't tell me it can't be done. Help me find a way to get it done. Help me to conquer obstacles and barriers. If I came to you for help or advice, then excuses will only breed mistrust and frustration. Assist me to head off small problems before they become big problems.

FOLLOW-UP. If you say you're going to do something, then do it. If you can't do it, then don't make excuses, explain the circumstances. Be careful about making promises you can't keep. Check in with me to see if I need anything to meet deadlines or accomplish goals.

GIVE ME THE TOOLS. Make sure I have the tools I need to do the job. Don't make me chase down tools, supplies, information or resources unnecessarily. Don't make me wait for supplies unnecessarily. Don't make me beg. Don't make me resort to my own devices to get through red tape.

RESPECT MY ROLE. Let me do my job. Don't ask me to do tasks that belong to another, except in emergencies. I will pursue my role in the best way I know how. I will use the resources, knowledge, skills and abilities that are at my disposal. I will go the extra mile to get the job done. But don't disrespect my efforts, my abilities, my knowledge, or my skill.

CREATE OPPORTUNITIES. Make sure training is relevant, level appropriate, meaningful and challenging. Don't make me sit through training sessions for subjects I have already mastered. Challenge me to learn, to succeed, and to add value to the team. But don't bore me, over burden me, or interfere with my career growth. Give me tasks that will aid me in my personal and professional growth. Help me look for career advancement opportunities. Guide me through the many hazards of corporate and administrative domains.

UNDERSTAND THE RULES. Laws, regulations, rules, guidelines, and policies exist for a reason. Understanding the reason and objectives of these rules is as important as understanding the letter of the law. Put the rules into proper context. Remember that fairness is sometimes an individual matter, and sometimes a group matter. Don't bend the rules unnecessarily. Make very few exceptions of the rules. But don't put the rules above principles, dignity or respect. Practice what you preach, and preach what you practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home