Thursday, May 25, 2006

Is Monogamy Really A Christian Value?

Following my line of thought on the neglected parts of the Bible and Constitution, I want to discuss monogamy and polygamy as religious values.

If we refer to the Old Testament, we find many cases where key biblical figures enjoyed polygamous marriages, numerous consorts and relations with their slaves, and large families to tend to the sheep, goats, camels and business of the patriarchs listed in the various books of Scripture. The tradition of multiple wives is assocaieted with Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Solomon and David. There is historical evidence that the tradition enjoyed religious sanction until some time after the death of Jesus on the cross, albeit not necessarily in the Roman Church.

So, while we are busy debating the issues of gay marriage, we should also be discussing the issue of polygamy and the legal prohibitions against it as an establishment of a religious sanction offered by a uniquely ultra-conservative view of Christianity.

In my case, I have very practical reasons for not being and advocate or practitioner of polygamy... My wife won't let me. But neither she nor I can find a religious prohibition of the practice, and I find the US prohibition to be in conflict with the First Amendment... But I also find the prohibition of gay marriage to be a violation of the First Amendment as well, based on the fact the the prohibition is based on Christian values (establishment clause) and violates the right to associate/assemble in a peaceful manner (assembly clause) with those of their own choosing. Since marriage in our society is essentially a social contract between 2 people, in the customary arrangement, to share in all aspects of life, liberty, property and pursuit of happiness, there ought nought be any restrictions on such contracts except when there is a compelling insterest that is based upon non-religious reasoning.

Of course, I would choose to remain devoted to my heterosexual marriage, my understanding of God's will, and the legitimate teachings of Christianity... because that is my choice... and freedom is based upon having choices and the right to make those choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home