Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Most Neglected Parts Of The Bible & Constitution, Part II

Continuing my thoughts on the parts of the Bible and Constitution that are neglected--as in not read, not read in context, or not fully understood--I want to discuss the parts of the Old Testament that gets thrown out in light of the ultra-conservative world view of the religious right.

Some time ago I received an e-mail that had an open letter to Laura Schlesinger, a PhD that has no business or training in the field of counseling and advising, but doesn't hesitate to offer herself as an expert on matters of great personal import in an effort to keep her religious right audience entertained. But, rather than go on with my own views on Schlesinger, I am going to let the e-mail speak for itself.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific
laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on t he altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not
pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

This is where the Christian Right goes wrong. They insist that the Bible must be interpreted in an all-out literal fashion, but fail to follow all of the rules handed down in the Old Testament.
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

The Christian Right dismisses slavery as a secular tradition and practice that has been eliminated as part of the secular laws and customs, but the Scripture speaks to slavery as an ordained practice of God.
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

The argument does present an interesting issue in terms of sexual relationships. One would suppose that the Christian Right would argue that a husband would know when his wife is menstruating... but that brings up the issue of polygamy... more on that later.
Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

While the attempt at sarcasm and humor is less than admirable, the point is well-taken. Schlesinger is rather notrious for comments that border on racism and ethnic slurs (in my opinion), so this question's sarcasm is directed toward her reputation for these issues.
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

One wonders if the Christian Right succeeds in re-creating the world in its warped image whether or not those that work on the Sabbath will be put to death... and will this include the doctors, nurses and technicians working in the hospitals, nursing homes, care facilities... or how about the workers at the restaurants where the devout congregate after church services?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Will we have to give up pork, shrimp, clams, oysters, lobster, crawfish and other foods that are forbidden in Scripture? Why is it that when I sit with ultra-conservative Christian friends and family they seem to order these foods?
Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Hmmm... Having worn glasses since the fifth grade, I guess I will have to stop taking communion.
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

This issue also raises the question of the meaning of St. Paul's warning not to dress, act and groom in an feminine manner. Since Paul was a devout Jew that adhered to the provisions of the Law all of his life, why do most ultra-conservative Christian churches insist on male members wearing short haircuts, clean shaven faces, etc.? The First Baptist Church in Hammond, IN preaches these "virtues" as if they were commendments from God. So, too, do most of the Baptist churches in my region? And while we're on the topic, Paul would have worn a toga or tunic garment both as a Jew and a citizen of Rome. These garments resemble a dress more than a modern suit of clothing. So, when I dress in pants and a shirt, am I violating God's law?
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Oh my God! We might have to give up football! The Christian Right in Texas are already revolting!
My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

My wife's family in Arkansas are mostly devout church-goers and come from farm families. They plant multiple crops in multiple fields, rotating them regularly, sometimes in the same year. My uncle curses something wicked. Almost all of us shop at Wally World and wear garments made from multiple types of materials. I am not sure that God wants all of these folks stoned to death.
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Well, I do not think Schlesinger is well studied in these matters. In fact, I think she is very unscholarly in most of the things she does. But most of all, I find her to be like most members of the Christian Right, very ignorant of the foundations, history and orthodoxy of the faith.

Next time, we'll tackle the neglect of the Constitution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home