Wednesday, October 20, 2004

WARNING: Contains Sexually Explicit Material

A day or two ago I learned that a couple of my students went to their previous instructor to complain about me using sexually explicit terms in class. Well, it is true. I did use sexually explicit terms in the classroom. I had to use these terms because I was teaching an anatomy course which included a brief summary of all the basic anatomical and physiological systems, including the reproductive systems.

In context, we were taking about the correct anatomical terms for male and female genitalia. Some of my students are young. Chronologically they have reached the age of majority, but psychologically and socially some are still in their early teens. So, to emphasize the point of using proper terminology I addressed the issue of NOT using slang or anatomically incorrect terms by talking about how our families reference our genitalia. In the process we discussed how we (human beings) often experience difficulty discussing sexual and reproductive issues, even in a medical context. I cited my mother's reference for genitalia as an example, calling upon my students to think about how they are teaching their children, or were taught when they were children.

My mother referenced the penis as a "tallywhacker." My dear sweet mother referenced the vagina as a "cracker." Using those terms in class to illustrate the need for universality in terminology and medical reference (and medical terminology is built into this course), I pointed out that these would be inappropriate in the medical setting. I correctly labeled the genitalia and moved on.

In another class session we were discussing the body's reaction to stress. Addressing stress is quite appropriate for these students as they are in training to become massage therapists. One of the major purposes of seeking massage therapy is to deal with stress. In this discussion I introducted the General Adaptation Syndrome which involves sympathetic and parasympathetic neurological response. I talked about stress producing events like being in front of a class doing an oral presentation of a research topic. Giving another example I evoked the image of being in a school yard fight. We discussed the release of epinepherine (adrenalin), norepinepherine, cortisol, homocysteine and how stress can cause an inflammatory response. In an effort to further illustrate the issues of stress, I discussed that sexual intimacy that leads to sexual arousal also releases epinepherine and norepinepherine, as well as cortisol and homocysteine. In an effort to be a bit humorous, I made a comment about anatomical and physiological the similarities between being confronted by a mugger and being aroused by a intimate significant other in the back seat of a '57 Chevy.

Not one student came to me to express any concerns. I perceived a lot of head nodding, attentiveness to my lecture and presentation, and, judging by behaviors and body language, understanding of the cyclic nature of the GAS, as well as the difference between "good stress" and "bad stress." We went on to discuss the effects of stress in terms of somatic complaints, behaviors, communication, intimacy and so forth.

Lo and behold, my boss approaches me with the issues and concerns. Now one has to get a mental picture of my campus and my teaching duties. I teach Medical Assisting, Medical Administrative Assisting, Massage Therapy and Pharmacy Technician courses, including Anatomy & Physiology, Specimen Collection, Phlebotomy, EKG, Interpersonal Relations & Communication, Legal Aspects of Allied Health and more. Approximately 98% of the student enrollment are women, most of whom are under twenty-five. At least 40% of the population is Hispanic. Some 8-10% are Asian. About 70% are single parents with multiple children. If these folks don't know the medical and anatomical names for sexual organs or sexual acts, they certainly know the street names and references. I spend a great deal of time conveying the idea that a medical professional must use terms that are appropriate.

Over the last 20 months I must have taught classes that REQUIRE discussion of sexually/medically explicit information (i.e. Aseptic Technique and Reproductive Anatomy) to about 300 women. Not once, until now, has there ever been a complaint about me "crossing the line." Yes, I employ humor, but I talk about how humor is often used to make us feel more comfortable discussing uncomfortable topics before the discussion begins.
Fortunately, my boss has been in my classes during such time and has DOCUMENTED in official observation reports how well I "dance around delicate anatomical topics with humor, effectiveness and impact without offending anyone."

So the issue was investigated, I was approached with the concerns, and we all came up with the same answer: the students (2) doing the complaining had just been addressed about professionalism, coming to class prepared, and excessive tardiness... Hmmmm... Seems like there is an effort to get back at the teacher.

Just to be safe, I had a third party observer in my class for a short while in the last session. We were discussing the anatomical planes and references, as well as the integumentary system. As massage therapists my students may face a situation of sexual arousal in massage clients merely due to the stimulation of the skin, nerve endings and erogenous zones. My observer reported that I handled the discussion well. It was at times humorous, but effective and accurate.

Life moves on... But did you hear the one about the nun that snuck a man into the convent on the hill in Switzerland? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home